Translate

Friday 31 January 2014

simplicity 2362 Maxi dresses

Simplicity 2362 

Liberty Fabric Maxi Dresses

I am a big fan of the maxi dress, however, I am a bit of a strange shape, a bit top heavy I guess. I found that when I tried them on in stores I had to go fora much bigger size than I do for any other clothes if I wanted to stop myself pouring out the top of them. This also resulted in them not fitting well below the bust and me feeling like I was wearing a bin bag. Obviously the only way for me to get a maxi dress  I was comfortable in was to make my own.

I selected the simplicity 2362 pattern as I liked the variety of tops you can have to the dress and really liked the idea of having pockets. I'm a big fan of pockets - they provide somewhere to put your hands when awkwardly standing for a holiday snap!


I decided to go for styles C and E, only I made E the same length as C. I cut the pattern a size up from what I usually use in preparation for the awkward maxi dress and for the first time used my dress making dummy for more than just taking photographs of what I've made. I took my measurements and adjusted my dummy to fit and get started.


I started with style C and found the instructions super simple to follow. I really like the pleats at the bust giving a nice detail and was very surprised that using my dummy I managed to make something which was a good fit! It fits well around the ribcage and flows nicely to the ground making it ideal for summer weather, but it also fits well on top meaning I don't feel the need to pull it up whenever I'm wearing it.

simplicity 2362 liberty fabric style C
 I then went on to style E, but keeping the length from the previous style, after all it was 2 maxi dresses I wanted. I loved the idea of a halter top version as there is something about a halter top to me that just says it's holiday time. I much prefer the finished piece here. Whilst I was happy enough with my first dress, the pockets on this one turned out so much better, the overall finish was better. I guess it's true what they say about practise! 

simplicity 2362 liberty fabric style Esimplicity 2362 liberty fabric style E

I think I'm also more of a fan of style E because of the fabric in this one. The darker fabric definitely helps my pale Scottish skin look not quite so pale! I do love this pattern and will definitely be making more of these dresses for my summer wardrobe! 


No comments:

Post a Comment