Translate

Wednesday 8 January 2014

Making a Corset for a Masquerade Ball

Making a Corset for a Masquerade Ball

There's a club night in Glasgow called Club Noir which is a burlesque show and everyone comes dressed according to the theme set for the night. It also happens to be the home of Chelsea Dagger from the Fratellis song. 

My friends and I were going to the Venetian Masked Ball and so I needed a corset. The last time I'd made one was for a project at school and I hadn't included boning or anything, it was very basic, but I decided to use the same pattern I had mocked up then and add boning to it.

I already had a mask and so the colours of the fabric and trim were very much chosen to compliment that. I chose a purple raw silk and a silver zig zag trim as well as some silver ribbon as a fastening at the back. I added boning to the seams, which gave it some structure and my mannequin was very useful in making sure it was made to fit me. 


I used an eyelet punch to create the holes at the back of the corset. This meant I could loop the ribbon through for a more vintage style finish at the rear.

Whilst it was perfectly suitable for a night out in fancy dress, I'd say there would be a lot more structure needed for making a proper corset, but it was quick and easy to make and I would wear it again for a similar occasion. Here is the finished piece and a picture of it with the mask which inspired the colours...

Hand crafted corset design @wilmottswonders

Hand crafted corset design @wilmottswonders

Hand crafted corset design for masked ball @wilmottswonders


No comments:

Post a Comment