Translate

Thursday 6 March 2014

Butterick B5216 A & B

Butterick B5216 A & B

Fast Easy sewing with cotton.

Following on from the tricky silk party dress I decided to take a step back into the fast and easy pattern world and stick to a reliable cotton fabric.

I chose the Butterick B5216 pattern because I loved the variety of tops it offered. I also thought that with them being so simple it would be easy to adapt the straps to make them a bit different.

Butterick B5216,cotton,fast&easy

Mandors had a great stock of cotton liberty fabrics, so the only problem was not buying too many! I decided on four fabrics to make version B 3 times and one of version A. Instead of using fabric for the straps I bought some ribbons which matched my chosen fabrics, and some buttons just to add a wee bit more detail to them.

This definitely was a fast and easy pattern, especially since I wasn't doing the straps, so it was great for getting my confidence levels up and for making lots of wee summer tops quickly.



Top B using my liberty fabric and a peach ribbon in a bow for the straps. Can be worn with or without a belt. The belt gives a more flattering fit but keeping it loose means it's really suitable for hot climates. The fit and the fabric mean it doesn't stick to you leaving you feeling too hot.



Butterick B5216,cotton,fast&easyButterick B5216,cotton,fast&easyButterick B5216,cotton,fast&easy

Top B again - this time I've looped the ribbon through a button. It just adds an extra wee detail. I love this one with the chunky belt, but again on its own it's perfect for hot climates. I'm wearing it over shorts here and I must admit the shorts are purely to protect my decency. It was so warm I wanted to wear something as light as possible and this worked!


Butterick B5216,cotton,fast&easyButterick B5216,cotton,fast&easy
 With this version I looped the ribbon through a button while making a bow. I knew all three tops would be very similar and so these small details was my way of trying to make sure they weren't too samey. I gave this one to my best friend for her birthday. It's the only piece of clothing I've made and gifted - I was so nervous she wouldn't like it! I'm taking the fact she's worn it a few times as a good sign!


Butterick B5216,cotton,fast&easyButterick B5216,cotton,fast&easyButterick B5216,cotton,fast&easy

 I only made one style A and used this summery ice cream fabric. I clearly made a mistake when cutting as the front should match at the seam, or not have a seam, but I can live with it for this cute wee top.

Although there was a mistake in the style A, doing these definitely improved my confidence. They were definitely quick and easy. If I'd slowed down and thought before cutting my mistake could have been easily avoided. Its the kind of pattern I will definitely reuse because the style is so suitable for warm weather.









No comments:

Post a Comment